What is Bed Making in Nursing?
Bed making is one of the important nursing techniques to prepare various types of bed for patients or clients to ensure comfort and useful position for a particular condition. The bed is especially important for patients who are sick. The nurse plays inevitable role to ensure comfort and cleanliness for ill patient. It should be adaptable to various positions as per patient’s need because they spend varying amount of the day in bed.
Types of Bed Making in Hospital:
Nursing staff make different types of bed according to patient condition those are listed below:
- Simple bed or unoccupied bed.
- Close bed (Admission bed),
- Open bed,
- Occupied bed,
- Cardiac bed,
- Fowler’s bed,
- Fracture bed,
- Operation bed.
Purpose of Bed Making in Hospital:
Bed-making is a nursing art. The purpose of the bed-making should be patients or clients-centered. The main purposes of bed-making are to prevent complications by ensuring comfort and security to patient.
- To provide rest and sleep.
- To provide physical and psychological comfort and security to the patient.
- To give the unit neat appearance.
- To establish an effective nurse patients relationship.
- To provide active and passive exercise to the patient.
- To promote fresh and cleanliness.
- To develop skill in the posture/body alignment of the nurse in bed-making.
- To observe, identify and prevent patient’s complications.
- To accommodate the patient’s needs.
- To reduce patient’s exertion by bed-making.
- To eliminate irritants to skin from patient’s body.
- To dispose soiled and dirty linen properly.
- Another purpose of bed-making is to save time, effort and material properly.
Basic Principle of Bed Making in Hospital:
Skillful bed making contributes patients comfort. Some basic principles of bed-making are pointed below
- It is important to learn that how to make a bed in such a way where least amount of energy and time is required.
- During bed-making, use good body movement and make each step purposeful.
- Keep everything ready on bed side before starting bed-making.
- Change bed linen frequently to assure cleanliness.
- To ensure the patient need by providing a safe and comfortable bed.
- It should have a finished appearance.
- To make bed tight and free from wrinkles, place all linen straight line on the bed.
- Prevent complications of prolonged bed ridden patient such as pressure sore.
- Soiled linen or linen whether clean or dirty should not be thrown on the floor, but it is should be kept in a dirty linen box.
- After cleaning bed, dump soap water and disinfectant properly.
- Try to prevent cross infection of microorganism during bed-making.
- Ensure all bed-making in a nursing unit alike for uniformity of appearance.
Remember During Bed Making in Hospital:
During bed-making we should remember some knowledge those are useful for us and also to patient.
- During bed-making, bed position keep elevated and ensures nursing staff’s good body alignments
- During the procedure, the nurse should study her movements so as to avoid waste of time and energy.
- After completing, bed should be lower position.
- During occupied bed making, confirm patient safety and comfort.
- Wash hands before and after bed making and use gloves during bed-making.
- Maintain privacy while making bed.
- Keep soiled linen away from uniform which may have germs.
- Do not shake dirty linen to prevent germs spread around room.
- Do not mix soiled and clean linen during bed-making.
- For bed ridden patient, mattress must be turned air and ensure free of lumps and fold.