Child Growth Development:
Human development is the lifelong process of physical, behavioral, cognitive, and emotional growth and change. The assessment of child growth and development is very helpful in finding out the state of health and nutrition of a child. Continuous normal child growth and development indicate a good state of health and nutrition of a child. Some factors affecting normal child growth and development process of child.
A child’s growth and development can be divided into four periods such as-
- Preschool years,
- Middle childhood years,
Child-growth refers to progressive structural and physiological changes in the size of a child body. Physical growth includes gaining of full height and appropriate weight and an increase in size of all organs.
There are various measurements that are used to measure normal and standard physical growth. Those are-
- Head circumference,
- Mid upper arm circumference ( MUAC),
- The eruption of teeth.
Child development is progressive growing of various function and capability of child such as head support, speaking, learning, expressing their feelings.
Types of Child Development:
There are three types of child development, which are-
- Intellectual child development,
- Emotional and Behavioral child development,
- Sensory and Motor child development.
All the three child development types are discussed in the below:
1. Intellectual child Development:
Intellectual child development is a child’s capacity for understanding, thinking and reasoning his world. It is about how individuals organise their minds, ideas and thoughts to make sense of the world where they live
2. Emotional and Behavioral child development:
Emotional and behavioral child development is a child’s capacity to controlling their mood or temperament. Every child has an individual temperament or mood. Children gradually learn how to manage their feelings and adapt with new situation.
3. Sensory and Motor child development:
Sensory and motor child development skills involve the ability to use large muscles for movements such as lifting the head, crawling or walking and distinguishing taste, touch, vision, hearing through movement and exploration.
Factors affecting Child Growth and Development:
The rate of child-growth and development varies considerably from child to child. Child-growth and development rate depends in part on:
- Constitutional make up like father and mother,
- Fetal hormones and fetal growth factors,
- Environment and climate,
- Nutritional status,
- Socio-economical status of the family,
- Physical problems in the child,
- Illness and injury during birth,
- Infections and infestations.
Above points are the most important factors for child growth and development.
More questions related this topic:
- Normal Growth and Development.
- Your Child’s Growth and Development.
- Child Growth and Development Stages.
- Childhood Development – Pediatrics.
- Growth and Development, Ages 2 to 5 Years-Topic Overview.
- What is the Age of a Kid?
- What is the Age of a Toddler and Infant?
- What is the Ages and Stages Questionnaire?
- What is Development of a Child?