What is Human Colostrum?
Human colostrum is a yellow to orange in color, thick and sticky milk. It is low in fat, and high in carbohydrates, protein and antibodies to help keep baby healthy. The benefits of colostrum are enormous. Colostrum is extremely easy to digest, and is therefore the perfect first food for baby. It is low in volume for first four days, but high in concentrated nutrition for the newborn and replaced with lighter thinner liquid (mature breast milk). Colostrum produce the last months of pregnancy, but it is also normal for them to start producing it the day baby is born.
Definition of Colostrum:
Colostrum which has been called the ‘’first milk’’,’’ liquid gold’’ or’’ immune milk’’ is a clear, sticky, thick liquid that is produced by a mother’s mammary glands after the first day of baby’s birth.
Benefits of Human Colostrum:
There are different so many benefits of human colostrum which are pointed out in the following:
- Human colostrum is high in carbohydrates, high in protein, high in antibodies, and low in fat (as human newborns may find fat difficult to digest).
- Human colostrum is rich in nutrients such as zinc, calcium and vitamins like A, B6’’, B12’’, K those need for overall growth and development of baby.
- It actually works as a natural and 100% safe vaccine. It contains large quantities of an antibody called which is a new substance to the newborn.
- Antibodies’’ Secretory Immunoglobulin A (IgA)’’ helps to protect the mucous membranes in the throat, lungs, ear and intestines of the infant.
- Colostrum also contains high concentrations of leukocytes, protective white cells which can destroy disease-causing bacteria and viruses.
- It has a laxative effect that helps expel the terry first stools called Meconium.
- This clears excess bilirubin, a waste product of dead red blood cells which is produced in large quantities at birth due to blood volume reduction, from the infant’s body and helps prevent jaundice.
- It contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and protects the gut lining.
- Colostrum is high in cholesterol, which is essential for the growth of baby’s nervous system at this stage.
- Sugars in colostrum provide the energy required by baby’s growing body.
- Some studies suggest the protein content in colostrum provides a full feeling to baby, enabling baby to sleep longer.
- It is also responsible for containing the passive immunizes that were provided in utero by the placenta, such as polio-virus and rubella.
More questions related this topic:
- What does colostrum do?
- Colostrum good or bad?
- Is colostrum bad for you?
- What is colostrum powder used for?
- What are the benefits of colostrum supplements?
- How long do you have colostrum before your milk comes in?
- Human colostrum benefits for adults.
- Mention the benefits of Colostrum.
- Colostrum: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings.
- Colostrum benefits for baby and adults.
- Health benefits of colostrum supplements.
- Colostrum milk benefits-explain.
- List of the great benefits of the colostrum.
- Mention various benefits of colostrum for humans.