Hyponatremia disease represents low sodium level in blood. The normal level of sodium 135mEq/L- 145mEq/L. When the sodium level < 135mEq/L is called hyponatremia and A level < 120mEq/l is considered severe hyponatremia. Sodium level is maintained by homeostatic mechanism that involves thirst, antidiuretic hormone (ADH) secretion, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone feedback system and the renal handling of sodium.
Some known causes of hyponatremia are renal disease, diarrhea, diuretic use, heart failure, liver disease and the syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion. Symptoms depend on the degree of imbalance and rate of sodium level fall. The treatment of hyponatremia is diagnose underlying cause and t cut down, hospital admission, Intravenous access, Hypertonic saline 3%, conivaptan, vaprisol, tolvaptan etc.
Classification of Hyponatremia Disease:
Depends on the volume status there are three types of hyponatremia. Those ares-
- Euvolemic hyponatremia,
- Hypervolemic hyponatremia,
- Hypovolemic hyponatremia.
All the above types of hyponatremia have explained in the below:
1. Euvolemic Hyponatremia:
Normal body sodium with increase in total body water.
2. Hypervolemic Hyponatremia:
Increase in total body sodium with greater increase in total body water.
3. Hypovolemic Hyponatremia:
Reduce in total body water with greater reduction in total body sodium.
Test and Diagnosis of Hyponatremia Disease:
There are four types of tests and diagnosis systems of hyponatremia disease, those are pointed out in the below:
- Serum Electrolytes,
- Osmolality blood test,
- Urine Osmolality,
- Urine Spot Sodium.
More questions related this article:
If you read this article attentively then you can easily find the answers for the below questions:
- What is hypovolemic hyponatremia?
- What is severe hyponatremia?
- What is hypernatremia??
- What are the causes of hypernatremia and hyponatremia?
- What are the types of hyponatremia?
- What are the reasons of hyponatremia?
- How to diagnosis hyponatremia disease in the hospital setting?
- Mention the types of hyponatremia.
- Discuss about the different types of hyponatremia.
- Discuss about 3 types of hyponatremia.