Maternal Mortality and Morbidity:
Maternal health refers to the health of women during pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period. While motherhood is often a positive and fulfilling, for too many women it is associated with suffering, ill health and death. The top leading cause of maternal mortality and morbidity include hemorrhage, infection, high blood pressure, unsafe abortion and obstructed labor.
The pregnancy related mortality and morbidity ratio is an estimate of the number of pregnancy-related deaths and complications for every 100,000 live births. This ratio is often used as an indicator to measure the nation’s health.
Maternal Mortality Definition:
The death of women while pregnant or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy, irrespective of the duration and the site of the pregnancy from any cause related to or aggravated by the pregnancy or its management.
Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR):
The number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births, a measure of the risk of death once a woman has become pregnant.
Maternal Morbidity Definition:
Morbidity refers to the unhealthy state or medical complications in women caused by pregnancy, labour or delivery.
Maternal Morbidity Rate (MMR):
A morbidity rate looks at the number of cases of a disease occurring in a given number (usually 100,000) of the pregnant population
Leading Causes of Maternity Mortalities:
There are mainly two types of causes for maternity mortalities. One is pregnancy related causes and another one is medical causes. Both of those have pointed in the following in step by step.
Pregnancy Related Causes of Maternity Mortalities:
Various pregnancy related causes for maternity mortalities are-
- Unsafe Abortion( Septic Abortion),
- Severe Antipartum and Postpartum Haemorrhage( APH, PPH),
- Puerperal Sepsis,
- Early pregnancy /Ectopic pregnancy,
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension (Eclampsia/ Pre eclampsia),
- Delayed and Obstructed labour,
- Placenta Previa,
- Uterine Rupture.
Medical Causes of Maternity Mortalities:
Different medical causes for maternity mortalities are-
- Thrombosis and Thromboembolism ,
- Hepatic failure,
- Renal failure,
- Cardiovascular disease,
- Severe anaesthesia Complications.
Cause of Maternal Morbidity:
Various causes of maternal morbidity have presented out in the following:
- VVF( Vesico Vaginal fistula),
- RVF ( Rectro Vaginal Fistula),
- Perineal tear,
- Uterine prolapsed,
- Vaginal stenosis,
- PID ( Pelvic inflammatory disease),
- DIC( disseminated intravascular coagulation),
- Amniotic fluid embolism,
- Blood transfusion reaction,
More questions related this topic:
- What is the most common cause of maternal mortality?
- What does it mean to die from maternal conditions?
- What is maternal health care?
- Point out the leading causes of maternal morbidity and mortality.
- Point out the causes of maternal mortality.
- Global causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis.
- Mention the causes of maternal mortality during childbirth.
- Mention causes of maternal mortality in developing countries.