Peptic Ulcer Disease Definition:
Peptic Ulcer disease refers to open sores in the lining of the stomach or in the first part of the small intestine, the duodenum.
Types of Peptic Ulcer Disease:
There are mainly two types of peptic ulcers. Those ares-
- Gastric Ulcers: it is occurred on the lining of the stomach.
- Duodenal Ulcers: it is occurred in the first part of the small intestine.
But by region or area peptic ulcers are three types and that are-
- Oesophageal Ulcer
- Gastric Ulcer
- Duodenal Ulcer
Causes or Reasons of Peptic Ulcer Disease:
The different causes for peptic ulcer are-
- Infection with Helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori),
- Use of painkillers called nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin and Naproxen.
- Excessive Alcoholism,
- Having radiation treatments,
- Serious illness.
A rare condition called Zollinger-Ellison syndrome can cause peptic ulcer.
Sign and Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer:
Peptic ulcer has various kinds of sign and symptoms. Those are-
- Burning pain in the middle or upper stomach. During meals or two hours after meal or during night,
- Hunger and an empty feeling the stomach,
- Mid nausea and vomiting,
- Bloating or discomfort.
In severe cases peptic symptoms are such like which are in the following:
- Vomiting of blood,
- Dark blood stool,
- Weight loss,
- Loss of appetite,
- Severe pain in the mid to upper abdomen.
The symptoms of Gastric Ulcers and Duodenal Ulcers are similar except for when pain occurs:
Symptoms of Gastric
Epigastric pain after meal or during meal.
Epigastric pain 2 hours after meal or empty stomach or
Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting
Loss of weight
No weight loss
Test and Diagnosis of Peptic Ulcer Diseases:
There are three ways of diagnosing peptic ulcer. Those ares-
- EGD ( Upper GastroIntestinal Endoscopy)
- Stool occult blood test.
Treatment of Peptic Ulcer Diseases:
By following way the treatment of peptic ulcer should be done-
- Change of lifestyle,
- Ulcer medications,
- Upper Endoscopy (some bleeding points can be stopped through Endoscopy),
- Diet (Bland diet).
Prevention of Peptic Ulcer Diseases:
By following way anyone can be prevented himself/ herself from peptic ulcer:
- Do not smoke,
- Avoid Alcohol,
- Avoid fried food,
- Avoid overuse of NSAIDS,
- Do not overuse Aspirin.
Complication for Peptic Ulcer:
Complications for Peptic Ulcer are-
- Stenosis .
Nursing Intervention for Peptic Ulcer:
Various nursing intervention of peptic ulcer has mentioned in the following-
- Check patient vital signs 4 hourly.
- Administered prescribed medication.
- Encourage patient to stop smoking & alcoholism.
- If patient vomit, check colour of emesis to identify source of blood.
- Place an emesis basin within patient’s reach.
- Offer mouth care after every emesis episode.
- Give antiemetic drug as doctor order.
- Give antacids as ordered by doctor.
- Provide six meals a day as order.
- Provide bland foods.
- Encourage patient take plenty of fluid.
- Encourage patient to plenty of rest.
- provide psychological support to patient
- Avoid Aspirin.
- Monitoring for any complication.
- Monitor effectiveness of medications and also watch for adverse effects.
More questions related this topic:
- Peptic ulcer disease (Stomach Ulcers) cause, symptoms.
- Peptic ulcer disease: background, anatomy, pathphysiology.
- Stomach ulcer: causes, symptoms & diagnosis.
- Peptic ulcer disease symptoms, treatment & diet.
- What is an ulcer and how is it caused?
- What is a peptic ulcer and what are the possible causes?
- How do you treat a peptic ulcer?
- Where is a peptic ulcer?
- Definition of peptic ulcer disease.
- Classification of peptic ulcer.
- Peptic Ulcer Disease Symptoms.
- Peptic Ulcer Disease Treatment.
- Peptic Ulcer Disease Guidelines.