Most Common Factors and Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy
What is Ectopic Pregnancy?
Acute bleeding may result in a fainting or shock or fast heart rate. The fetus is unable to survive with very rare exceptions. One of the most common complications of ectopic pregnancy is a rupture with internal bleeding which may lead to hypovolemic shock. In the very first trimester of the pregnancy period, death from rupture is the leading reason for death.
Major Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy:
Multiple factors contribute to the relative risk of ectopic pregnancy. In theory, anything that hampers the migration of the embryo to the endometrial cavity could predispose women to ectopic gestation. Previous pelvic infection is the most logical explanation for the increasing frequency of ectopic pregnancy; however, most patients presenting with an ectopic pregnancy have no identifiable risk factor. 40% of ectopic pregnancies have an unknown etiology.
Main Factors of Ectopic Pregnancy:
All the factors of ectopic pregnancy have presented in the following:
A. Tubal Factors:
- Congenital abnormality of the tube: It includes-Undue tortuosity, Diverticula, Accessory lump, and Hypoplasia.
- Surgery of the tube: It includes-Tubal ligation, TAH within 48 hours of coitus, Tuboplasty.
- Distortion of the tube by an adjacent large tumor.
- Operation in the pelvis in and around the uterus/ovary.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease-causing tubal adhesion.
- Tubal Pathology: Here, one is a tubular infection which includes chlamydia trachomatis infection, STD, postabortal (Septic abortion), post puerperal, Post-operative; abnormal peristalsis of the tube, and the other one is abnormal peristalsis.
B. Ovarian Factors:
- Fertilization of an un-extruded ovum,
- Ovarian enlargement is due to the prolonged use of ovulation induction drugs like clomiphene.
C. Zygote abnormalities:
- Chromosomal abnormalities,
- Abnormal spermatozoa.
D. Exogenous hormones:
- Progesterone only pill,
- The morning-after pill.
- Cigarette smoking,
- Hamper tubal motility,
- Hamper ciliary motility,
- In vitro fertilization,
- External migration of ovum,
- Increasing age.
More questions related to this article:
- What is the meaning of ectopic pregnancy?
- What is meant by ectopic pregnancy?
- Discuss ectopic pregnancy.
- What are the major causes of ectopic pregnancy?
- What are the reasons for ectopic pregnancy?
- What are the key factors of ectopic pregnancy?
- What is the major risk factor for ectopic pregnancy?
Maria Khatun Mona is a Founder and Editor of Nursing Exercise Blog. She is a Nursing and Midwifery Expert. Currently she is working as a Registered Nurse at Evercare Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. She has great passion in writing different articles on Nursing and Midwifery. Mail her at “[email protected]”