What is Development of a Child?
Child physical growth refers to physiological and structural changes. It is essential for pediatric nurse to understand normal growth and development of child and acceptable variations in normal developmental patterns and recognize early possible developmental disability. Skills monitoring and early detection help to set early medical treatment and Nursing interventional programme so that child can attain normal growth milestones.
Child Physical Growth:
Physical growth refers to the structural and physiological changes of height, weight, head circumference and other body changes such as eruption of teeth and mid upper arm circumference of child body.
Measurement Components of Child Physical Growth:
There are various measurement components that are used to measure normal and standard child physical growth. Those are in the following:
- Head circumference is one of the basic biometric parameters used to assess fetal size. It measures the distance from above the eyebrows and ears and around the back of the head.
- Mid upper arm circumference (MUAC) is the circumference of the left upper arm, measured at the mid-point between the tip of the shoulder and the tip of the elbow. It is useful for the assessment of nutritional status.
- The eruptions of teeth play a vital role of good nutrition that gives normal face appearance, clear speech and healthy start of permanent teeth.
It’s all part of the physical growth process. The Pediatric Nurse can easily identify acute malnourished child and help improved quality of nursing care. To be useful, these measurements must be taken accurately using reliable equipment and correct measuring techniques.
Average range of weight, length, Mid upper arm circumference and head circumference needed for Measuring physical growth. Physical child growth measurement are presented in the below table:
More questions related this topic:
- Physical Growth of Infants and Children – Children’s Health.
- Early Childhood Physical Development: Gross and Fine.
- Child Physical Growth Stages.
- Physical Growth in Child Development.
- Child Psychological Development and Child Physical Development.
- Physical Growth Childhood.
- How Does a Child Develop Physically?
- Children’s Development of Physical Skills.
- How Much Does a Child Grow in a Year?
- Physical Development in School-Age Children.
- What is Physical Growth in Children?