Common Child Health Problems in Bangladesh
Child Health Problems in Bangladesh:
The child health program promotes the rights of children to survival and well-being through interventions under four categories:
- Expanded program on immunization (EPI),
- Control of diarrheal diseases (CDD),
- Control of acute respiratory infections (ARI),
- Integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI).
List of Common Childhood Disease in Bangladesh:
The list of common childhood diseases or problems is classified into two parts. One is an acute health problem and another one is a chronic health problem.
a. Acute Health Problem:
1. Nutritional problem:
- Low birth weight,
- Protein-energy malnutrition (PEM) i.e. kwashiorkor and marasmus.
- Vitamin-A deficiency disorder (VADD) i.e. night blinders and xerophthalmia.
2. Eye problem (Conjunctivitis),
3. Dental problem,
4. Ear and throat infections (Otitis, sore throat, tonsillitis, bronchitis)
5. Skin disease (Scabies, ringworm),
6. Parasitic infections i.e. hookworm infection, measles, diarrhea, tuberculosis, etc.
7. Communicable diseases i.e. measles, mumps, whooping cough, diarrhea, chickenpox, tuberculosis, etc.
8. Mental problem i.e. feeble-minded idiots, mental retardation.
9. Psychological problems i.e. phobia, maternal deprivation, emotional deprivation, maladjusted children, etc.
b. Chronic Health Problem:
- Cerebral palsy,
- Sickle cell anemia,
- Cystic fibrosis,
The below list presents some major or common nutritional problems in infants and also in public health.
- Low birth weight,
- Protein-energy malnutrition (PEM) i.e. marasmus and kwashiorkor.
- Vitamin-A deficiency disorder (VADD) i.e. xerophthalmia, night blinders, and total blindness.
- Nutritional anemia i.e. iron deficiency anemia and folate & Vit-B 12 deficiency anemia.
- Iodine deficiency disorder (IDD) i.e. goiter.
- Neurolathyrism i.e. khesari dhal intoxication.
- Endemic fluorosis i.e. lack of fluoride, dental fluorosis, skeletal fluorosis, genu valgum.
More questions related to this article:
- Describe some common health problems of children in Bangladesh.
- Mention some major nutritional problems of children in Bangladesh.
- Describe the child health situation in Bangladesh.
- Point out some major child health problems in Bangladesh.
Maria Khatun Mona is a Founder and Editor of Nursing Exercise Blog. She is a Nursing and Midwifery Expert. Currently she is working as a Registered Nurse at Evercare Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. She has great passion in writing different articles on Nursing and Midwifery. Mail her at “[email protected]”