Definition of Conjunctivitis Disease:
Conjunctivitis Disease refers to an inflammation and redness of the conjunctiva. It is a thin layer of tissue that covers the front of the eye (pink eye).
Causes of Conjunctivitis Disease:
There are different causes of conjunctivitis. Those are in the below:
- Bacterial/ Viral infection,
- Allergic reaction ( dust, pollen),
- Irritants such as Shampoos, dirt smoke,
- Allergy to contact lens,
- Foreign object injury to eye,
- In the neonate, tear duct blockage.
Sing and Symptoms of Conjunctivitis Disease or Conjunctivitis Symptoms:
Various sign and symptoms for conjunctivitis are below:
- Redness in one or both eye,
- Thick yellow discharge after sleep,
- Burning eyes,
- Blurred vision,
- Sensitivity to light.
Test and Diagnosis for Conjunctivitis or Conjunctivitis Diagnosis:
There are two types of tests for conjunctivitis. These are-
- Examine eyes and sing symptoms
- Swab test may be suggested when not responding to treatment
Treatment for Conjunctivitis Disease or Conjunctivitis Treatment:
There are different treatments for conjunctivitis which are in the below:
- Antibiotics for bacterial infection,
- Eye drops or ointment,
- Must cell stabilizers,
Complications for Conjunctivitis:
Conjunctivitis is a self-care disease. After taking a curse of antibiotics to reduce the risk of complication.
Prevention for Conjunctivitis:
There are different types of instruction for preventing Conjunctivitis. Those are in the following:
- Maintain proper hygiene and frequent hand washing.
- Do not touch your eye with your hand.
- Use a clean towel and washcloth and do not share personal cloth with others.
- Change pillowcases often.
- Do not use eye cosmetics during conjunctivitis and do not share with others.
Nursing Intervention for Conjunctivitis Disease:
There are different types of nursing intervention for Conjunctivitis which are mentioned in the following:
- Teach proper handwashing technique and instruct keep hand away from eyes.
- Use disinfected for an eye examination.
- Encourage pt to avoid sharing personal clothes with others.
- Apply warm compression over the eye and drop and ointment as ordered.
- Instruct patient to clean eye discharge with tissue and dispose of it carefully.
- Replace eye cosmetics and do not share.
- Teach the patient to install eye drops and ointments correctly without touching the tip of the container with an eye or lashes.
- Encourage the patient to stay away from school for at least 7 days.
- Instruct to use dark black eyeglass to avoid bright light and contamination.
- Use and care of contact lenses correctly.
- Avoid rubbing eyes.
If an infected person maintains this advice, it will help to spread conjunctivitis in family members.
More questions related to this topic:
- Conjunctivitis (Pinkeye) Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments.
- Conjunctivitis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Prevention.
- Conjunctivitis: What is Pink Eye?
- What is Conjunctivitis of the Eye?
- How Can You Get Pink Eye?
- How Do You Get Pink Eye?
- Conjunctivitis Definition.
- What Causes Conjunctivitis?
Maria Khatun Mona is a Founder and Editor of Nursing Exercise Blog. She is a Nursing and Midwifery Expert. Currently she is working as a Registered Nurse at Evercare Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. She has great passion in writing different articles on Nursing and Midwifery. Mail her at “[email protected]”