List of Good Fats and Bad Fats
Fats or lipids are made of fatty acids (saturated, polyunsaturated, monosaturated, triglycerides, phospholipids, glycolipids, etc. fats are solid at 20 degrees Celsius. They are called “oil” if they are liquid at that temperature.
Fats are also known as lipids. Fat supplies the main energy to the body. Fats are organic compounds that are composed of hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen. Fats are insoluble in water and soluble in organic solvents like ether, benzene, or chloroform. The smaller unit of fat is termed fatty acids.
Fat is an organic substance that is composed of the elements like carbon, hydrogen, oxygen. They are formed by the combination of glycerol and fatty acid.
What are Good Fats?
Monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as good fats because they are good for our heart, cholesterol, and our overall health.
Monosaturated Fats List:
- Olive oil,
- Canola oil,
- Sunflower oil,
- Peanut oil,
- Sesame oil,
- Nuts (Almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews),
- Peanut butter.
Polyunsaturated Fats List:
- Soybean oil,
- Corn oil,
- Safflower oil,
- Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds,
- Fatty fish (Salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines),
What are Bad Fats?
Saturated fats and Trans fats are termed the bad fats because they increase our risk of disease and elevate cholesterol. Appearance-wise, saturated fats, and Trans fats tend to be solid at room temperature (Think of butter or traditional stick margarine), while monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats tend to be liquid (Think of olive or corn oil).
Saturated Fats List:
- Chicken with the skin,
- High-fat cuts of meat (Beef, lamb, pork),
- Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream),
- Ice cream,
- Palm and coconut oil.
Trans Fats List:
- Commercially-backed pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza dough,
- Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips),
- Stick margarine,
- Vegetable shortening,
- Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish),
- Candy bars.
More questions related to this article:
- What do you mean by fats?
- What is the definition of fats?
- Write down the name of some good fats and bad fats?
- Which are good fats?
- Which are bad fats?
- Prepare a list of good fats for our health.
- Prepare a list of bad fats for our health.
- What is monosaturated fat?
- What is polyunsaturated fat?
- What are saturated fats?
- What are trans fats?
- Present some examples of bad fats.
- Present some examples of good fats.
Maria Khatun Mona is a Founder and Editor of Nursing Exercise Blog. She is a Nursing and Midwifery Expert. Currently she is working as a Registered Nurse at Evercare Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. She has great passion in writing different articles on Nursing and Midwifery. Mail her at “[email protected]”