What is Breastfeeding?
Breast milk is the best sources of nutrition for baby. It contains exactly what baby needs for nutrition’s, energy and antibodies against illness. Body will prepare body for breast-feeding. Staying healthy is as much as you can do to prepare your body for breastfeeding. Breast-feeding is an unequaled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants. During breast-feeding mother face various difficulties. Breast-feeding difficulties are very common; some tips will help beginners to overcome those problems.
Tips for Successful Breastfeeding and Pumping:
Following these tips can help ensure that your breastfeeding and nursing attempts progress as smoothly as possible.
- Start breastfeeding your baby as soon as possible after birth. this will kick-start the release of hormones, that encourage milk production.
- Wash your hands before breastfeeding or expressing milk.
- Keep your breast clean and wash your nipples daily with warm water. Don’t use soap or lotion that may contain alcohol, which can dry the skin.
- Do not rough up nipple by scrubbing them roughly with a towel.
- To prevent sensitive nipples in the beginning of the breastfeeding relationship, you can avoid non-nutritive sucking while your baby is asleep.
- Stimulate your nipples to make them erect before feeding. Massage them between your thumb and fore finger until they protrude.
- The massage should be gentle and not painful. Start at the above of the breast and stroke with a circular motion while towards the nipple. Then move again to the outside of the breast in a different and repeat, moving towards the nipple. Do this until move around the entire breast.
- For inverted or flat nipples, pinch breast between thumb and forefinger on the dark area about an inch above and below the nipple.
- Do not worry if you have inverted nipples. Many women with inverted nipples are able to successfully breastfeed without a problem. There have available differences types of devices to pull out nipple and help in breastfeeding such as breast shells, breast pump, Evert-It Nipple Enhancer etc.
- Use the Hoffman Technique to stretch your nipple and make it easier to pop out. Put both thumbs on either side of your nipple and press into your breast while also spreading your thumbs apart.
- Sit in a relaxed atmosphere. Relaxing will help your milk flow better.
- Positioning with pillow yourself and your baby. Pillow can be used for comfort. no matter which position you are breast-feeding.
- Eat well, drink well and rest well.
- Your baby’s body should be facing towards you while breast-feeding and it is best if there is skin on skin contact.
- You should keep your baby at the level of your breast and should not be stretching /bending downward. This is to prevent back ache.
- All of your nipple, and a large amount of your areola should be found in your baby’s mouth while breast-feeding. If your baby only latches onto the nipple, you may develop severe nipple pain.
- If you feel discouraged and your baby continue to cry, put your baby down and take a five minute break before trying again.
- You should breastfeed your newborn baby, at least every two hours.
- You do not need to use creams to soften skin beforehand, or express colostrum’s.
- Use a breast pump to induce lactation if you are an adoptive mother.
- Stimulate your breasts through pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock before the baby comes.
- Do not rub your nipples with a nail brush or even a wash cloth to toughen them.
- Lovemaking with gentle oral or manual stimulation of the nipples.
- Getting involved in a group where other mothers are also breastfeeding, will be a great help and source of motivation.