Definition of Communicable Diseases:
An illness due to a specific infectious agent or its toxic product capable of being directly or indirectly transmitted from man to man, man to animal, animal to man, animal to animal or from environment (through air, dust, soil, water, food etc.) to man or animal.
Principle Control of Communicable Diseases:
1. Controlling the reservoir:
- Early diagnosis,
- Epidemiological investigation,
2. Interrupt transmission:
- Water treatment: Simple chlorination to complex treatment,
- Proper sanitation,
- Clear practices: Hand washing, adequate cooking,
- Control of vectors.
3. Protection of susceptible host:
- Active immunization,
- Passive immunization,
- Combined passive and active immunization,
Preventive Measures or Prevention of Communicable Diseases:
The below preventive measures should be taken to prevent communicable disease:
1. Handle & Prepare Food Safely:
- Food can carry germs. Wash hands, utensils, and surfaces often when preparing any food, especially raw meat.
- Always wash fruits and vegetables.
2. Wash Hands Often:
- Learn how, when, and why to wash your hands.
3. Clean & Disinfect Commonly Used Surfaces:
- Germs can live on surfaces. Cleaning with soap and water is usually enough.
4. Cough & Sneeze into Your Sleeve:
- Learn how and when to cover your cough and sneeze.
5. Don’t Share Personal Items:
- Avoid sharing personal items that can’t be disinfected, like toothbrushes and razors, or sharing towels between washes.
- Needles should never be shared, should only be used once, and then thrown away properly.
6. Get Vaccinated:
- Vaccines can prevent many infectious diseases. Maintain EPI Schedule.
7. Avoid Touching Wild Animals:
- You and your pets should avoid touching wild animals whích can carry germs that Cause infectious diseases.
8. Stay Home When Sick.
List of Diseases Transmitted Through Feco Oral Route:
It includes the following:
1. Viral disease:
- Viral hepatitis A, E,
- Acute diarrhea.
2. Bacterial diseases:
- Bacillary dysentery,
- Typhoid fever,
- Food poisoning.
3. Protozoal diseases:
4. Helminthic diseases:
- Pin worm infestation,
- Tape worm infestation.
More questions related to this article:
- Define communicable diseases.
- What do you mean by communicable diseases?
- What is meant by communicable diseases?
- Write down the principle control of communicable diseases.
- How will you control communicable disease?
- Enumerate the principle control of communicable disease.
- Write down the preventive measure of communicable disease.
- What are the principles of communicable disease prevention?
- What are the diseases transmitted through feco-oral route?
Maria Khatun Mona is a Founder and Editor of Nursing Exercise Blog. She is a Nursing and Midwifery Expert. Currently she is working as a Registered Nurse at Evercare Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh. She has great passion in writing different articles on Nursing and Midwifery. Mail her at “[email protected]”